Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pure Happiness- It's been too long!

19-8, that was the score of the game, and that game was the last time i was truly happy about baseball. That was October 16, 2004, Game 3 of the ALCS in Fenway Park. The Yankees won that game and took a commanding 3-0 lead over the hated rival Boston Red Sox. That game was almost exactly one year after the most exciting game and play in my lifetime (Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS). That was when Aaron Boone hit one of the biggest "Walk Off" homerun's in Championship series history to complete a 4-3 series win and advance to the World Series. Well on October 16, 2004 after the Yanks went up 3-0 i was thinking that the ending would be just as sweet, because the Yankees were about to sweep their rival right out of the ALCS! But that never happened. They had there shots though, like the two consecutive extra inning nail biters in Fenway, that both went in the Red Sox favor. Then they headed back to the Bronx for the last two games, the Yanks were sure to win one of the two right? Nope, they blew it, they suffered the biggest collapse in MLB Postseason history. And since that series ended (specifically game 3) I have not been truly happy as a baseball fan!
Now sure, a few years back, an ALDS win would never have done it for me, never have made me happy. But after the Yankees did not make the playoffs last season, I realized I took October baseball for granted, and I realized how much I need it in my life. So when they clinched the division this past September, i must admit, I popped the champagne in happiness. But not the happiness I used to feel from 1996-October 16, 2004.
Then came Game 1 vs the Twins last week. C.C Sabathia was on the mound and looking as dominate as ever, but other than Derek Jeter (of course) the rest of the team was struggling to get on base. At that point I happened to think back of the past few Postseasons (everyone since the 2004 collapse actually)and couldn't help but think another first round exit? But then something happened, something that in my heart I always wished would, but hadn't happened since the collapse. That something was Alex Rodriguez coming alive and playing with the "swagger" we all knew he had inside. He put the Yankees on his back and carried them to their first playoff series win since the series before the collapse.(Twins in 2004 ALDS). To try and explain to you how happy i felt when Mariano Rivera got the last out in Game 3, and how happy i still feel right now is impossible. It can't be put into words. The only way i can actually become happier would be an ALCS win over the Angels (Who the Yanks have struggled against in recent Postseason past) and of course World Series win #27. Then to express my happiness i will be able to attend my first "Ticker Tape Parade" down the "Canyon of Heroes". I can promise you that at that point, if it happens, i will be the HAPPIEST i can be about baseball again!

No comments:

Blog Archive